Richard Allen is a Shareholder and Partner at Solowsky & Allen, and is an “AV” rated lawyer who has been practicing law in Miami for almost 40 years. He has repeatedly been recognized by The South Florida Legal Guide as a “Top Lawyer” in the areas of Commercial Litigation and Appeals. His practice primarily focuses on matters involving complex commercial litigation, insurance coverage, commercial leases, partnership disputes, bankruptcy, real estate disputes, and appellate practice. Mr. Allen is a highly skilled trial attorney.
In 2001, after 10 years of hard-fought litigation, Mr. Allen and other lawyers at the Firm helped obtain a jury verdict of over $500 Million against Exxon Corporation in a federal class action on behalf of over 10,000 present and former Exxon service station dealers nationwide. The National Law Journal recognized the Firm as the third "winningest" law firm in the country for the year 2001 based upon that jury verdict. That verdict was affirmed on appeal by the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit and then by the Supreme Court of the United States. Exxon ultimately paid in excess of $1 billion.
In addition, Mr. Allen is actively involved in the South Florida community. Mr. Allen has been an Adjunct Professor of Law at the University of Miami since 1987, teaching advanced civil procedure and pre-trial practice. Mr. Allen has served as a member and chairman of a grievance committee of the Florida Bar, presiding over investigations and hearings in matters where lawyers are accused of wrong-doing.
Mr. Allen is also a member of the Board of Trustees for Jewish Adoption and Family Care Options (JAFCO). In 2011, JAFCO honored Mr. Allen with its prestigious Jacobs Ladder award, recognizing his contributions assisting abused and neglected children throughout South Florida. Mr. Allen has also served as a Receiver, Special Magistrate, and Guardian ad Litem in the Eleventh Judicial Circuit in Miami-Dade County, Florida.
- Complex commercial litigation
- Commercial real estate litigation
- Insurance coverage litigation
- Successfully represented thirteen property owners throughout the United States in actions brought in both Federal and State Courts against a major manufacturer of a defective roofing membrane, resulting in settlements totaling in excess of $20 million.
- Successfully represented a business consultant in prosecuting a legal malpractice action in Federal Court against a national law firm, and defending a claim for attorneys’ fees owed, resulting in a favorable settlement on the eve of trial for nearly $2 million.
- Successfully represented the owners of a shopping center developer, owner, and management company in a shareholder dispute, which included claims of Fraud and Breach of Duties, resulting in a forced expulsion of a shareholder and repayment of millions of dollars to the company and its owners.
- Successfully represented an insurer in an insurance bad-faith case, resulting in a jury verdict in favor of the insurer.
- Successfully won an appeal for a physician who had come to Mr. Allen after losing a jury verdict for more than $11 million. The appellate court reversed the judgment, adopting the arguments presented in the appeal.
Professional & Community Activities
- Jewish Adoption and Family Care Options, Inc.
Member, Board of Trustees, 2007-Current
- The Jewish National Fund
Miami-Dade County Chapter
Member, Board of Trustees, 2011-Current
- The Florida Bar Grievance Committee
Member and Chairman, 1988-1992
- Juris Doctor, cum laude, 1979
University of Miami, Miami, Florida
- Bachelor of Arts, cum laude, 1976
- Connecticut College, New London, Connecticut
- University of Miami, School of Law
Adjunct Professor, Pleadings and Discovery, Advanced Civil Procedure, 1988-Current